Quote of the Week

"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.""
-John Maynard Keynes

Thursday 6 March 2014

The Girl at the Pool - Part 7

The next day was Regionals, it started off bad. I looked at the schedule of debates and it was tough. In fact, I'd have to face my polite partner and his new partner from two nights prior in the third round. Honestly however, I knew that I wouldn't make it to Provincials, and so I was really only coming to have fun. I regret that I ever gave up on winning. Our first match was against the school which had hosted that tournament two days prior. Guess who sat in to watch? Yes, the bitchy tournament director. I almost fainted thinking that she would be my judge, so I came up and I asked.  I was determined to have her transferred to a different room, if she was a judge. She said that she was just a spectator and I was elated. I knew that she had only walked into that debate to throw me off with her presence, but what that lady didn't know was that I feed off hate. I love it, it's motivation for me to do well. Like with all my first debates, I wasn't as good as I could've been, but I was decent. Luckily, the girls we were facing had no idea what they were talking about, so we seemed better than we actually were. My partner from my school was fantastic and gave some of the best debate speeches of her life. AMAZING JOB, EMILY!

At the end of the debate, the judges provided feedback, as they are required to. Then this old, shameless tournament director proceeded to give her own feedback.
"Oh, I didn't know that you were a judge." I stated.
"I'm not, but I have some feedback as well." She replied.
"Well I really don't feel that non-judge feedback is relevant, so I'd prefer that you don't give your feedback to me." I POLITELY declared.
She blushed and went outside to give feedback to her debaters.

My second debate had my heart racing. I was going up against the reigning champions. Oh god. As it appeared, they weren't actually all that good. I think I did really well against them, so I was super happy after that round. Then it was dinner time, and there was some damn good food. Lasagna, salad, pasta salad, coffee, tea, cookies - the works. My dinner happiness was cut short however, by the partner from my old school. According to him, he had failed in his first two rounds. I brushed it off by saying that he's just being hard on himself - as usual.

Next round was awesome! "Ex-debate partners take each other on!" I could see it in lights. Okay, so I was sort of intimidated because he is so good. I screwed that speech up so bad. HORRIBLY! Oh well, I knew that if anything, I had lost to him. He deserved it, he had prepared far more material than my 3 hour research had.

Last round was fine. A couple of good debaters, and luckily for me, a good judge. Who? My ex-partner's dad was judging me. That went down fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts? Want to tell me something? Start a debate and get talking! Comment below!