Quote of the Week

"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.""
-John Maynard Keynes

Tuesday 11 March 2014

Selfies

The growing trend of taking pictures of yourself is becoming more and more prominent in our society today. This is a fad, which has not only been adopted by the young generations, but by the older folks, too. People are glued to their mobile devices, as they have been for some time now, however the reasons for this inhibition of society are now more appalling. No longer are regular citizens texting their friends, or posting statuses on Facebook, reading the newspaper, or writing "important emails" - no, now they are drifting towards new media, and photos. Things like Snapchat and Instagram are shifting peoples' attention, particularly teens', from outdated social media to new media.

socialnewsdaily.com

Snapchat and Instagram make it profoundly easy for anyone to take a picture and post it immediately. This easy of use has led to this new obsession, which quite frankly, looks dumb.

As I was on the bus a few nights ago, I saw a man sitting in front of me. He looked very typical, and nothing stood out about him. He was on his phone and had his big, red headphones covering his ears. I didn't pay much mind to him until he started making a face at his phone. Raising one eyebrow, and puckering his lips, this man clicked the camera button on his phone, to produce a shutter sound. He was taking a selfie! A full-grown man taking a selfie - the simple idea sounds utterly ridiculous.

I'd laugh a little to hear that there were men on the Earth who took selfies in the privacy of their own home, but I would think it impossible that a man would take selfies on the public bus.

I've seen teenage girls take seflies on the bus, "snap-chatting" a friend a response, but never have I seen a man respond to a selfie. Until now. Of course, this is not to say that these girls aren't totally ludicrous, it's just to say that these fully grown men are.

Now I understand that I shouldn't be discriminating between men and girls. If I give young, INEXPERIENCED, IMMATURE girls the right to take public selfies, why not FULLY grown men? Well, I think my sentence speaks for itself.

Anyways, the point that I'm trying to get at here is simple. It's gone too far. Selfies are no longer a cute fad that dumb teenage girls do in their endless spare time. Selfies are now a expanding pandemic, one which has reached creepy men in their mid-life crisis. Who knows who selfies will attack next. It is an infection with no cure and it's main symptom is lack of face-to-face interaction in real life, not in photo life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts? Want to tell me something? Start a debate and get talking! Comment below!