Quote of the Week

"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.""
-John Maynard Keynes

Sunday 4 May 2014

Privacy

Privacy is always an interesting matter to discuss. It has a number of variables which need to be taken into account in order for it to be attainable and existent. Surprisingly, today I will not be taking a legal standpoint on the matter, rather a moral one. I know, it's rare, but I have morality too. As a side note however, legally, law-abiding citizens have a right to privacy. As long as they remain law-abiding they are free to do what they wish in their own homes.
So what is my view on privacy? To what moral extent is one obligated to provide privacy for another? That is the question which I will be trying to answer today, as it has recently come up in my life. In which context has it come up? Well, I'd rather not say (actually I would, but it's complicated). I will be trying to do my best to eloquently describe the matter without giving too much away, so beware, it may sound choppy.
SOURCE: ulovesomethingmore.com
Firstly, I'd like to say that I hate being told what to do very much. This post is perhaps written a little out of spite, so take it with a grain of salt. 
As a blogger, I take it upon myself to release information which I learn. I focus and dedicate my blog to critiquing subjects which are of interest to me. I feel that, as a journalist, it is my job to release the information I learn from my sources without any regret. I owe it to my readers to provide the most upfront, direct and fact-based pieces of writing. To do this, I disregard the privacy of subjects many times. Of course, I do this to a certain extent, i.e. not blatantly naming names. Obviously, I take many liberties as well. Many times, I do not ask for consent before publishing because I do not need to. It is my right to post what I wish, as long as I don't give away who it is I am speaking of. That is why no names are named. 
A prime example of a post in which I took the liberty of posting without regard for privacy is Don't Kill the Messenger. I found out very some very delicate information on a very delicate subject. In fact, my sources disclosed information to me on a subject which was being -and still is being- investigated by the police. I gave away as much as I could without getting myself in trouble. Now, did I trample over the privacy rights of the people involved? Perhaps, but I don't feel guilty. Am I bad person for it? I think not. Firstly, no one can pin-point who the involved people are based on my post; they can only assume. Secondly, I didn't personally know any of the parties involved and I was left outside of the "loop" by them- I was simply a bystander in the matter and did what I see as my job. (Finding a source, getting information and letting my readers know.)
Now, do I blame the people involved in the Vancouver Taddler incident for not running to me to give me the "scoop" on the story. Absolutely not, I would behave the same way. Not only did I not request the information from them, but I also did not know those people. I would, quite frankly, be a little creeped out if the writer of Vancouver Taddler -whose name has still not been released, and thus  cannot be released by me- came to me to give me her story. I'm not that popular.  
This is where my problem arises. If I was good friends with the writer of Vancouver Taddler and asked her for some information on the blog, I'd expect her to give it to me as part of the obvious loyalty and trust, which is part of a healthy friendship. Since I am her friend, I would then ask her if she would be kind enough to let me publish the information on my blog. If she said no, I would not publish the information, for the simple fact that my friend comes before my blog. If she said yes, then I would go ahead and publish it. 
I'd expect that my friend has enough trust in me that she is willing to confide her secret in me. In my mind that is how friendships work. 
What would I do if my friend refused to tell me her secret? I'd even accept that. I would understand the fact that she has some trust issues. There is really only one scenario in which I wouldn't respect my friend's wish of privacy and that would be if I wasn't treated like a friend. Basically, as long as I was treated the same as rest of my peers, I would respect her wishes. Most friendships see the friends treating each other better that the rest of their peers, but I don't require that, I just require being on the same level as everybody else. However, my goodness in the situation should not go for granted - even I have standards/limits which should not be tested.
Here is what I am trying to say: if my friend never told anyone their secret - that'd be fine. If my friend on the other hand, told a mere aquanitance their secret and kept me out of the loop completely, then I would be offended. This is the point at which I feel that I have a right to posting what I see fit about that "friend". If the reason is still not clear enough, let me help:
If my friend turned me into a bystander on the matter, then that is how I'd behave. The point where I become less sacred than some other child in the school, is the breaking point. This is the point where that friend's privacy is no longer of concern to me. That is when I become a Zoe Barnes.
In my journalistic eyes, privacy is only attainable to a certain degree. A degree, which depends greatly on the way you are treated. Privacy exists with those you are close with and should be adhered to. Privacy is not a worry when you are simply reporting on a matter, which you are not directly correlated in. Privacy can only exist when the subject of your reporting keeps you informed, and you aren't forced to use confidential sources to get the information you want. When that subject decides that you are unfit to know their secrets, but someone else is, then you are perfectly entitled to say/write what you wish from your own sources.
I love blogging, but I love the people who are close to me more. When those people betray me, there is no justification. I then turn to my second love - blogging - and treat the person the way they treated me - as a stranger. These people then have no right to be upset with me, for it is their fault. They have no right to demand that I not blog about them, for it is morally wrong. Am I jealous? Perhaps, but I think that as a friend I have earned the right to know some things. That is all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts? Want to tell me something? Start a debate and get talking! Comment below!