Quote of the Week

"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.""
-John Maynard Keynes

Wednesday 26 February 2014

The Girl at the Pool - Part 6

So what did this terrible letter say? Well apart from all the stuff about how she was unhappy with how the night went down in general, she provided three main reasons:
A) My partner and I cheated her in order to be a hybrid team.
B) We delayed debates by taking extra time in the hallways to prepare.
C) I had an extremely embarrassing outburst at the awards ceremony.

Okay, I can't deny C, but I can say that I proudly stand by it. I voiced an opinion, as I was taught to do - both by parents and educators. My statement was justified, and required no apology to this woman organizer. The only person I may have need to apologize to -if they had requested it- was the girl who had won. I was being the change I wanted to see in the world.

Next is A, we cheated? Okay, let's look at that. She claimed that my partner had told her that we were permitted to participate as a team. Clearly, by the emails, anyone can see that we never said that. We said that there is a rule in the DSABC constitution that apparently allows hybrid teams, but that it is an unclear rule and that we are discussing it with the president of the DSABC. This unfit tournament director simply said that our registration has been accepted. She payed no mind whatsoever to the rules, and signed us up as a hybrid. Meanwhile, the DSABC president got back to us. She said "no". Why would she say such a thing when the rules clearly state that hybrid teams are allowed without restrictions as long as they are approved? Well because she is the coach of a private school, and god forbid that they don't come out on top. Officially however, she said that her "no" was because she didn't want to create "power teams". Anyway, since I knew that she was just lying, I replied to her and asked her for clarification, and why teams were allowed to compete before. She replied after a couple weeks, and avoided all the questions that she couldn't make up an answer to. Once again, the answer was "no". Fine, but we were already registered and could not change that. Because this tournament organizer hadn't bothered to check the rules, because it was too late, and because we really didn't want to not go together, we didn't say anything. Everything was rosy when we got there and she hadn't said anything about the rules. So a blatant lie from a blatantly bad person.

As for B and delaying debates. That also wasn't our fault. That was her fault, due to her terrible organization. She hadn't briefed the judges about why and how long the preparation time would be for the impromptu topic. The judges in our room looked at us and asked us if fifteen minutes would be adequate preparation time. Both my partner and I and the opposing team agreed, and we left the room to prepare in the hallway. Nice of us, eh? Anyway, this woman had now made another rampant lie without any evidence to back it up.

This whole email was obviously unacceptable and extremely unprofessional. Worst of all, it CC'd the president of the DSABC. I was deeply hurt and I immediately forwarded it to my parents. They too were appalled. Along with what I had seen, there was also a defending email in response from the Hamber coach, who I had previously mentioned has taught me everything I know about debate. Another response from my partner, who was being too nice, as usual. The woman was talking behind my back, and she was absolutely horrid. My parents asked me to formulate a reply, and I did, but I didn't send it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts? Want to tell me something? Start a debate and get talking! Comment below!