Quote of the Week

"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.""
-John Maynard Keynes

Friday 21 February 2014

Stop - Part 1

I'm going to be honest: I started this post with the intention of making it short and sweet, but then I realized there was no way that that would happen. I'm going to publish this story in parts (hopefully only a few) so that no one is going to have to read more than a 1000 words at once. I hope you guys enjoy this series of posts!

Some people just don't know when to stop. That is the issue that I will be discussing today, as it has been pertaining indirectly to me these pass couple of weeks. It has to do with my best friend, and a guy that is madly in love (oops, I mean in like) with her. This boy, apparently, does not take hints. He is obsessed, and thus, he let's every small word act as a enormous, grossly-exaggerated glimmer of hope. He is blinded by his infatuation. He is oblivious to the signals that the people around him are giving. He is, or is being, stupid. Most importantly, he needs to stop. 

Before I get into the whole scenario, allow me to give some background: 
My best friend is an exchange student. She moved here from a cold, dark and desolate place in Eastern Europe 1.5 years ago. Her parents encouraged her to come here in order to improve her English, despite it already being very good. I guess her and her parents picked Vancouver because of the climate, because you'd be really dumb to pick it because of anything else. (A lot of aspects of Vancouver suck, but it's a nice place landscape-wise. It's really rare that you get to have the mountains and the beach on your doorstep.) Anyways, she came here in grade 9 and is going to stay here until the end of high school. She's really nice and funny, and she's a great friend who really cares, not to mention the fact that she is tall, skinny and pretty. 
***I guess that she's from Tennessee, because she's the only ten I see! 

Anyway, I didn't really know her in grade nine, but this year we have grown pretty close and now spend every lunch together eating ice cream, and thinking about what homework we have forgotten to complete. Luckily, we have a lot of classes together and we get to talk a lot. We also both live far away from our school, so we get to take the bus together after school. When I have extracurricular activities after school, even really long debate practices, she usually waits for me at my locker just so that we can take the bus together. Despite her hatred for debate, she still comes to some of my practices just to watch me, and encourage me. She sounds perfect, right? Well she is! So I understand that the boys are flocking to her. 

Now for some background on the boy that likes her (probably only sexually). He is from Vancouver, and he is a year older than my friend and I. He is from my old school, which I went to for one year in grade 8. Strangely enough, I never actually met the boy before this year. Apparently, he went to his parent's native country for that one year, so I could never meet him. The boy isn't gorgeous. He is fit, though. He is a debater, too. And he is friend's with my insecure debate partner, who I have discussed in previous posts. Honestly, I don't want to say too much about the boy, since I don't know him that well.

So how did my friend, who has zero interest for debate, meet this guy? They go to different schools, and they don't really have many mutual interests. It's me and my insecure partner's fault. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts? Want to tell me something? Start a debate and get talking! Comment below!