Quote of the Week

"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.""
-John Maynard Keynes

Sunday 5 January 2014

Typicality

Walk into the open concept classroom. Glance through the enormous windows and feast your eyes on the half wilderness, half industrialized view. The tall evergreen trees and the modern university facilities contrast each other in a far from perfect way. It is rather disgusting, but I attempt to block out the man made objects and focus purely on the small patch of forest. My attempt fails after my perfect view becomes blocked by the most boring woman in the world. Everything about her is boring. Her hair is typical, her eyes are typical, her bone structure is typical, everything else is too. She isn't especially skinny, nor is she especially fat. She is in between. Her makeup is done in a very normal way. Nothing about her stands out, nothing about her is even remotely special, so why is she blocking my view? Why am I unable to disregard her plainness? I fell into a deep pondering over the issue while she began speaking. I was tuned out for the most part, but I had mastered the art of listening while thinking. Not a very useful skill, but useful enough that every so often, when I am called out in class and asked to answer a question, I can. Once again, something interrupted my thinking; it was my peer. It's the tiny Asian girl who sits beside me. She is as annoying as they come. She hates her own culture and she is way too jumpy - a valley girl of sorts. She shows me her phone, a picture of me is on it. She took the photo just a few minutes ago. It is a picture of me doing my thinking. It has a few likes, and there is a comment from a boy who used to go to school with me. The comment says "dayuuummmm, she a hottie :0 say hi to her for me". "God, what an annoying douche", I thought to myself. Then, one of the many voices in my head asked me, "Who, the Asian girl or the guy who commented?" "Both" I responded to the voice. Why were these people so annoying? I didn't know.
Now that this little ball of annoyance had disturbed my peace, I began to look around the classroom, in search of non-annoying creatures. Surprisingly, the only people who I didn't consider annoying were those that I didn't know. In fact, even some of the anonymous beings were annoying. There was something repulsive about their physical appearance. One of them of course, was this new teacher.
As I said, she was the world's most typical woman. I had a little day dream: In some random factory, miles and miles away, there is a conveyor belt. On this conveyor belt, millions of females, just like my new teacher, are rolled down, packed and exported.
Why did I hate this teacher who didn't stand out? I thought about the subject again.
Anyway, I don't want to keep boring you with this story, but I'd like to sum up why I hated her. I hated her because of her plainness. I hated her because there was nothing that she could do wrong. You can't do wrong if you're perfectly identical to society's norms, in every single way. Yes, hate is a strong word, but I did hate her. She was so annoying. Her boringness was annoying. I hated the fact that, for the rest of the school year, I'd have to come to this soulless android's class, every second day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts? Want to tell me something? Start a debate and get talking! Comment below!