Quote of the Week

"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.""
-John Maynard Keynes

Wednesday 29 January 2014

The Girl at the Pool - Prologue

The past few weeks have been absolutely spectacular for me. They have been jam-packed with debates and oh how I adore debates. Oh I hate the antics of debates.

As you may have noticed, I haven't been super active on my blog for the past 20 days. Why? I've been busy writing a post. A post about the debates.

During these eventful debates, I found out a lot of things about society. All of these events played out over the course of 3 days or so, and they were all triggered by a seemingly small event. My initial thought was that I should blog about it, so I did. Before I started, I thought that I would be able to fit these 3 days in one post of my usual length. I know, I know, I have really long usual posts, but they aren't that bad. 

I thought that these 3 days, regardless of how eventful they were, would fit into about 1500 words. I was so wrong. I started writing, and the words, the feelings, couldn't stop. My fingers were on fire, and before I could realize it, I was already at 3000 words. Alright, but at least I was done, right? Wrong. I wasn't even a quarter of the way through. I realized that this was going to be a huge post, but I kept on writing. I just had so much to say.

A week in,  I had 8000 words, and about 10 pages. I still wasn't done, though. Then I encountered a formatting error, and asked my mom about it. To help me, she began scrolling through my post, and noticed that there didn't seem to be an end. Then she asked me, "Nat, are you writing a novel? You can't post this. Nobody has time to read a novel, people read posts. If you really want to do this, then post it in parts." At first, I thought that she was wrong, and I kept on writing. Then when I got to 10000 words, I realized that I was going to keep going, and no one would have a whole day to spare to read my post - not even those who the post actually pertains to. So I made the decision, and I agreed with mom, who was right - as usual. 

I broke my silence with posting a post about posers, and writing a new post about people that take my food. Then I proceeded to divide my enormous post. Once that was all done and I had my parts, I needed a time frame. I decided I'd post about one or two parts of my enormous post per week. So that is what I'll be doing.

In between, I will most likely do what I always do, and post a few critiques on society. For the most part however , I will be talking about these few days of debate and the things that I learned. I figured that an introduction, or prologue, would be a necessary accompaniment my first blog series: The Girl at the Pool.

A story of about 4 days, four of the most eventful days of my short life. I am ever so grateful for these days, for they have taught me so much. I have been faced with criticism, cowardliness, anger and despise, which have all come together to help my find out what I want to be. Some people may feel that I am too young to understand things clearly - that I am too bold. Some people may think that I am suffering from a deep and terrible form of teen angst, but I don't think so. I am fed up with being constantly asked to censor myself, I am sick of seeing adolescent children being too scared to speak their minds. I am sick of seeing people exploiting others, I am sick of corruption and of the double standards that are all put forth in this place. I want it to stop.

I want to initiate some freedom. I hope that this post inspires someone to take a stand, and to be strong enough to face the consequences, all in the name of doing what's right. I understand if I fail, though. Perhaps society has killed your soul so much, and perhaps it has forced you to be a puppet, who's only service is to play the role society wants you to. Perhaps, I am dumb for hoping, regardless, I will hope. Speaking your mind is not against the law, you aren't going to jail for it, so relax. Nothing can happen to you, nothing that you can't fight. 

One girl at the pool set me on fire (figuratively). One statement I made, in which I exercised my right to free speech, set off a chain of events. One guy, who is too scared to speak his mind, shows glimmers of hope. One woman, who likes to preach, but doesn't know how to act herself seems to lose. One double standard setting coach stoops to the level of stammering out of a room. One good friend tries her best to seem good on both sides. One principal makes statements equivalent to those of Elizabeth Gilbert. And one girl fighting to be free. All of these characters play a part in this story that I have written - a journal of sorts.

The first part will be coming out tomorrow, and I hope that you enjoy it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts? Want to tell me something? Start a debate and get talking! Comment below!